October 20, 2013

Dexter Rival Case - Son of Caleb and Sophia Camp Case

The Children of Caleb and Sophia Camp Case

Dexter Rival - 1835 - 1912
Martha - c. 1853 - 1933

Dexter Rival, the fourth son of Caleb and Sophia, was another child  who made his way to the west.  Born in Oswego County, New York, on August 22, 1835, he was a young boy when his parents packed up and moved to Indiana.  He was enumerated in the census in Dekalb County, Indiana, with his parents in both 1850 and 1860.  Original documents exist showing Dexter paid real estate and land taxes there in 1859 and 1862.

 The 1860 census did not ask if a person was married or not, but we know that Dexter and his wife were married and living with his mother and siblings in Dekalb County, Indiana.

On December 6, 1859, Dexter had married Mary Jane Ayers in Spring Hill, Johnson County, Kansas. (Lawrence Republican, December 15, 1859) Mary, born October 24, 1836, in Trumbull County, Ohio, was about the same age as Dexter.  So, was Dexter looking for land when he was in Kansas?   Their first son, Burton/Berton, was born in Indiana about 1860.

In the 1870 census of Madison Township, Williams County, Ohio, taken July 21, 1870, Dexter Case, a farmer, held real estate worth $2600 and personal goods worth $500.  Mary, his wife, was keeping house, and they had four children:
Burton, 10, born in Indiana; Frank, 8, born in Ohio; Bennie (later I.B. for Isum Benjamin), 4; and Hattie (Harriet Irene), 1, both also born in Ohio. So, it would seem that the move to Ohio occurred between late 1860 and 1862.

By 1880, the family was settled in Branch, Marion County, Kansas, which covered a large territory in those days. Dexter was 44 in that year and farming, and Mary 43, was keeping house and caring for Berten, 19; Frank L. (Frank Lee), 18; Isum, 14; and Hattie, 11.  They had a servant living with them, Lidern Green, 17.  In looking at land patents at the Bureau of Land Management website, I found Dexter Case had made two claims for 80 acres each on May 20, 1862.  The Homestead Act of 1862 opened up some public lands in the west for settlement at a cheap price, $15.00 for 160 acres, the maximum claim. One had to be a citizen of 21 years old or more and agree to reside on the land for five years and improve it.  Dexter's claim was for land in Marion, Kansas in Section 34.  The actual final patent was issued to him in two parts - 80 acres on September 2, 1882 and the other 80 acres on August 5, 1890.

The 1885 Kansas state census had the family in Fairplay Township, Marion County, KS. The township of Fairplay was formed in 1880, so they could have been in the same place, but the townships were being restructured, so it is hard to tell without land records to reference.
Ten years had to pass before I could locate the family again in the 1895 Kansas census, and by this time, all the children were on their own.  Dexter, 59, and Mary, 58 were enumerated at that time on a farm in Peabody Township, Pherson County, Kansas. 

Atlas of Marion County, Kansas - 7
  (1885 plat map showing townships then in Marion County, KS, southern half)

In the Hutchinson News, Kansas on Tuesday, March 26, 1895, this article appeared regarding Harriet Case, who was a teacher.
"Huntsville...Miss Hattie Case closed her school last Friday with a programme and supper.  The little folks rendered their recitations very nicely and their deportment indicated good learning, thus showing Miss Case a thorough teacher.  Several fine prizes were given and all received a treat of candy which always gladdens the youthful heart.  Miss Case will attend conference with her brother, Rev. I. B. Case, and then return to the home of her parents who reside in Peabody, Kansas."

In the same 1895 paper appeared this article about Dexter's youngest son, I. B., who among other occupations, was a minister with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
"Rev. I. B. Case preached his farewell sermon and admitted six candidates for church membership, thus closing his conference year with us.  Brother Case has the prayers and good wishes of his class here."

In the Federal Census of 1900, Dexter, 64, and Mary, 62, along with their daughter, Hattie I., 31, were enumerated in Stella Township, Range 9, Woods County, Territory of Oklahoma where they owned a farm.  On this census, they reported their birthdates: Dexter - August 1835, Mary J. - October 1837, and Hattie - March 1869.  Mary also reported that she had borne 4 children and all were living at this time.  
When the Oklahoma territory opened, the Native Americans were given a chance to claim land first, and then in 1889, others were able to also get land.  In 1901, a land lottery took place where 8000 names were drawn for land. This map of Oklahoma in 1900 shows Woods County (Wds) as on the northern border, but the 1889 map does not show these counties at all, so they were developed for the incoming white population.  

So, why did Dexter and Mary move to Oklahoma?  The area where they settled was prime ground for wheat and pastures, and it wasn't long until the railroads came through to help transport goods.

  Daughter Hattie, born October 20, 1868, died at the age of 39, on November 17, 1907.  She was buried back in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas in the Maple Grove Cemetery.

 In the 1910 census, Dexter, 74, and Mary, 73, were found in Parsons, Alfalfa, Oklahoma.  (Oklahoma became a state in 1907, and Wood county was divided into three counties, one being Alfalfa. ) They had been married 50 years and were renting a house, perhaps near their son, Frank Lee, who was also there.

On January 9, 1912, Dexter died and he, too, was buried in Wichita, near Hattie, at the Maple Grove Cemetery.

Mary lived on until June 21, 1917 when she was buried near her husband of more than 50 years.

As for the children of Dexter and Mary Jane...

1. Burton/Berton P., the oldest, moved to Denver,Colorado, sometime between 1900 and 1910.  In the censuses, his occupation was listed as contractor for digging wells/ artesian wells. He was widowed at an early age.  He married Della Dunlap and they had one son, Donald Burton Case.
I have not been able to find his place of burial.

2. Frank Lee lived for a time in Missouri and then moved to Oklahoma.  He married Jennie G. Walter and they had three children, Ethel Ianthe, Bert Dexter, and Harold G.  

Byron-Amorita Cemetery
Alfalfa County
Oklahoma, USA
Plot: Block 3, Row 10, Lot 154

This obituary for Frank's son, Bert Dexter Case, which gives pertinent information about Frank Case, as well, appeared in the Alfalfa County Advocate on the front page, December 15, 1938:

"Pioneer Byron Mail Carrier Dies
Bert Dexter Case, 50, veteran mail carrier of Byron, died Wednesday night in the hospital at Anthony, Kans. where he was taken Sunday.  Death was atrributed to pleurisy.
Bert Dexter Case, son of Mr. Frank Lee and Jennie G. Case, was born Aug. 17, 1888, at Kansas City, Mo.  He came to Oklahoma with his parents in the spring of 1898.  He was converted in his youth and united with the M. E. church at Byron soon after coming to Oklahoma.
He departed this life at the age of 50 years, 3 months and 20 days.  He was united in marriage on May 16, 1911, to Fanny Wilson and to this union nine children were born, eight boys and one girl, all of whom survive.
Mr. Case had carried mail out of Byron for 25 years and five months.  His father was mail carrier there before him.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Fannie Case; a daughter, Delores; and eight sons, Don, Paul, Frank, Gene, Claude, Clyde, Harold, and Floyd of Byron and one brother, Harold G. Case, who lives at Elbert, Colorado..."

This remembrance, which really gives insight into the man, was also given in the same paper"
"Another of our good friends and neighbors have answered the summons, called Death.  When they told me last night that our good friend, Bert Case, had passed away, I sit down and thought back over the past twenty years.

I could see in my reverie the old post office across the street to the north of us when Bert used to relay out of here as mail carrier and I could see his little team of ponies tied over there and then when the cars came, he was among the first of the mail carriers to get one and all through the years we watched him as he went day after day.  It didn't matter to him how bad the roads got, he always made a try and he usually won out, too.
We have more friendly arguments than anyone, more friendly fights than most people, but always ended up laughing and telling each other to wait till the next time, but last week, Bert came in and it was a different Bert.

There was no smile and instead of standing up to argue with us, he sit down and there was no arguement, but instead he started to pour out his soul to us of the feeling he had and how bad he felt.  We tried to kid him out of it.  But he just wouldn't and couldn't kid back.  And then we noted he told us that he was just having to go home and go to bed.  It was then we were made to realize that he was really sick because it was so unlike him to complain.  

I am sure we will miss that familiar figure coming in to chat with us every week.  And I am sure others will miss him, too.  His Church, to whom he was so faithful and true, and his family to whom he was a real daddy.  And so we go on struggling as though in the dark, not knowing when our day may come, but let us home, that when it does, we will be as near ready for it as was our friend, Bert Case."

3. Isum Benjamin (I. B. Case)  Many references appear in the local papers of the time regarding the preaching of Rev. I. B. Case and the crowds he drew.
We also know, from Methodist documents, that he and his wife went to Angola, Africa as missionaries in 1893.  He also became involved later in real estate and insurance, and it appears he was a landowner from this note in The Hutchinson News of September 14, 1895:

"Rev. I. B. Case occupied the pulpit of the Huntsville church last Sunday after an absence of a couple of Sundays.  He took a vacation for his health, also to take his wife to their claim in the strip."

and in the same paper, March 28, 1896:
 "Rev. I. B. Case, owing to poor health, has been released from preaching for a year, hence will try farming on his claim in the Strip.  Brother Case and wife had been with us for two years and has left many warm friends who wish them health, prosperity and happiness.

4. Hattie died in 1907 and did not marry.

When Emillus Case died, letters were sent to all the sons of his deceased brother, Dexter, from Emillus's executor, George Edward Pflaumer, husband to his niece. The letter concerned whether the sons, who had inherited from their Uncle Emillus, would agree to set aside some money for care of the gravesite and to purchase a tombstone.  The three Case brothers answered their letters.

First, the letter from I. B.

Then the letter from Frank Lee, who wrote briefly at the end of the letter sent to him.

Then the letter from Burton.
(Sadly, I have no photos of these pioneers, and would surely appreciate any that would be offered!)

No comments:

Post a Comment