April 13, 2019

Wilhelm H (Meyer) Tietje

OK, I had lots of things I COULD have done around here...like tackling the stacks of boxes yet to be unpacked from moving 9 months ago, pricing and organizing garage sale items and attacking the ever-present laundry piles, not to mention the barren landscaping around the house that should be addressed.

BUT, instead I spent three hours at the Records Center this morning, transcribing and proofreading old marriage records from 1888-1890 because I am preparing a book manuscript for my genealogical society and I am way behind where I would like to be on this project. Then, when I was completely cross-eyed and numb from sitting and trying to read the penmanship and phonetic spellings in the old books, I impulsively decided to drive to Deshler, OH to visit the small library there. I knew the library had resources in their collection not available in the Napoleon Library.

I spent a couple more hours there just browsing around and did find a few things, mainly on the Spoerings so I'll save them for later. Nothing earth shattering. The one interesting thing I will share comes from the history of Hope Lutheran Church in Hamler. I found this entry :

Tietje, Wilhelm (Meyer) - parents: Wm. H. Tietje & Katharina Anna L. (Spoering) Born 30 April 1912 in Pirmasens in the Pfalz, Germany. Bapt. May 1912 Germany. Conf. 20 June 1926.

I still wonder what happened to this adoptive son of Aunt Kate and her first husband and where is this location in Germany? Another path to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment