April 2, 2019

1860 and Beyond

Census of 1860

 By July of 1860, the census taker was traveling around Napoleon Township in Henry County, Ohio, counting folks for the federal government. On July 9th, he visited the Elling family and recorded the following:

Fredk Elling, age 47, married, white, day laborer from Hanover, value of personal estate-$100.
Mary Elling, age 49, female, white, from Hanover
Mary Elling Jun, age 18, female, white, a domestic
Henry Elling, age 14, male
Dorathy Elling, age 11, female
Frederick Elling, age 7, male - all from Hanover.
All of their neighbors came from Hanover and all were farmers.

Just a month or so later, on August 2, 1860, the Kirchenbuch of New Hanover, notes the birth of Anna Maria Margareta Elling, daughter of Friedrich Elling and Maria Fuhrhop. Anna was baptized on November 2, 1860, with her sponsors listed as Anna Rohrs, Maria Badenhop, Margareta Stockman and Anna Precht.

The Kirchenbuch also has an entry under burials that, I think, could possibly belong to this family:
"Elling, Johann Heinrich Friederich - Born January 10, 1846 in Hanover - Died October 23, 1862 -Buried October 25. Age: 16 years, 9 months, 14 days."
This could be the child of Johann Friedrich, the son Henry. Somewhere I read that Heinrich was hit by a train, but right now I can't put my hand on that source. I scoured the local Napoleon papers for an account of that accident, but the papers of the time were really not printing much local news and I could not find anything. If I find that source here later, I will report it.

To confuse the issue further, under Confirmations in the Kirchenbuch, I find two Heinrich Ellings confirmed - one on April 15, 1860 and one on April 7, 1861. So, apparently, there was another Heinrich Elling in the congregation. So...that is a question that may or may not be answered.

On April 19, 1863, Dorotea Elling was confirmed by Pastor A. Friedrich Knape.

I looked at the Kirchenbuch of New Hanover early on in my research and now that I know more of the family, I need to go back for a second look. It's on the "to-do" list!

No comments:

Post a Comment