December 16, 2019

Don't Forget the Coffee Cake

But then...ah, yes...the old German Coffee Cake recipe appeared.  I can remember my mom making it a few times, but it must have been so frustrating for her because it disappeared in an instant once all six of us began eating.  I know we always had it at Elling Christmas dinners and I can envision eating it at Aunt Kate's table.  It was always (and still is) a treat, but when I look over this recipe, I think the odds of my attempting to make it again are slim. 
But for the more ambitious, here is the recipe. 

German Coffee Cake

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup peeled cooked potatoes that have been mashed up
1 cup of the hot potato water in which they have been cooked
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted lard (Yes, we used lard then!)
1/8 lb. yeast (6 envelopes or cakes)
salt (no measurement given - just guess)
6 - 7 cups flour

Mix ingredients in order listed and let rise until triple in size (about 1 hour)
Knead by the handful.  Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and press into greased pans.
Grease top with melted butter or margarine and let rise until double in size.
Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees until brown (about 15-20 minutes)
Remove and spread with butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Whet your appetite yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment