November 19, 2019

Summer Loves

After reading Emily's blog naming the things she loves about summer, I just had to create my own list!
 

I love the lavendar that is growing just outside the back door, along the deck. It looks great almost all summer and smells fantastic.

I love Sonic Cherry Lime-Aids. I have my sister, Connie, to blame for my addiction to Sonic's sweet drink. One summer we visited her family in Dallas, and she and I and our kids went on a mission to blow up all the toys they could use in the pool that evening. It was a stifling, breezeless, 105 degrees (or so it seemed) that day as we stood outside at the air pump at the gas station, trying to blow up a massive whale or dolphin and other toys and then stuff them in the van. We celebrated when we finished with a gigantic, ice cold, cherry lime-aid at Sonic. Liquid never tasted so good!

I love the casual dress - never having to bother with socks or hose. T-shirts suffice and short hair can be shorter. No jackets needed- just head out.

I love the simple cooking - the grill reigns and sandwiches and salads are the norm. It's too hot for baking and lasagna would just weigh heavily in the summer heat. Quick and easy is the mantra.


I love having fresh produce. The grandchildren are already asking for zucchini bread. We've just finished strawberry season and it won't be long until homegrown tomatoes and sweet corn will make the meal.
Our friend has delivered radishes and lettuce already and, yesterday, we picked our first cucumbers. Let the chopping begin!

I absolutely love vacation...just a change from the norm. Take me anywhere for a day or better yet, a week or two or three. I'm ready. I can be packed pretty quickly. Jim and I were talking about our travels over the years and we really can't remember a bad trip. Oh, there have been "experiences," but nothing that would ruin an entire vacation.

I can't swim a lick, but I love to be by the water in the summer. It just makes me "feel" cooler and calmer and ...lazy.

Lord, thank you for these summer days. Help me to greet each day with a positive outlook and an appreciation for all the wonders of the season.

(This blog post originally appeared on the Elling Family News blog on July 3, 2009.)

No comments:

Post a Comment